Friday, March 10, 2006

So... Bored...

Well i woke up at 5.30 this morning for absolutely no reason, which wasn't a good start.

All is not well at Anonymous Surrey Based Game Developer (ASBGD). Essentially they have discovered that they have too many people and not enough jobs. So about 100 of us have gone into a "consultation" process whereby we get to reinterview for jobs - there are, of course, less jobs than people. Ah, good times.

Given that my project got canned a good month ago, i have basically had nothing to do for a month. It seems like blessed freedom to start with - after all i am still getting paid but having to do nothing at all. However it does begin to grate after a time; it may seem backwards but i really want to come to work to work. It is hard to motivate myself to even do my own stuff now, but i think that it is quite psychological.

The rationale is this: If i am at home then i can choose to do my own projects / whatever and use my time as i see fit. Coming into work, strange as it may sound, I actually want to do work. Instead my hand is forced and the only thing i can really do to keep myself busy is my own stuff - but because in a way i lose the ability to freely determine when i work on my spare time projects, i become less motivated to do them. Make sense? Didn't think so.

The upshot of all this is that i feel like i am slowly losing my mind. I have applied for a couple of positions here but i don't, as yet, know when the interviews will be. And so i sit and stew... is it too much to ask to know my own future?!

Ok perhaps a little, and i understand the problem ASBGD is facing. However for me and my team we have already been kicking our heels for a good amount of time. There is no reason for us to be here, yet we are told that the only way we can miss days is to take it out of our holiday time. Bonkers!

oh yes i realise that the xml didn't display properly last time, but i don't care :)

2 Comments:

Blogger cliff said...

write a beatemup game featuring chipmunks.
you know you want to.

11:59 PM  
Blogger PimpernelP said...

What's going on Johannes? Give us some more posts!
Life at Anonymous Surrey Games Developer sounds like it's getting interesting.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home