Monday, April 24, 2006

Movin' on up, nothing can stop me

Ah, nothing brightens up a dreary Monday morning quite like the dulcet mid-90's tones of Heather Small.

The news hot off the press is that i'm leaving Anonymous Surrey Based Microsoft Subsidiary (ASBMS from here on in). I got a great job offer from another company just down the road, and i leave at the end of this week.

It was a sad thing to do but made so much easier by the recent round of redundancies. I reckon about 80% of my friends went in that - i sure know how to pick them. However that still didn't make it particularly easy. Probably the hardest bit was breaking the news to my boss Gary. He had known about my potential plans a good month ago but things had gone quiet for one reason or another, and after that point as far as we were both concerned I was staying.

Things soon hotted up again, the deal was back on and things moved fairly quickly. I grabbed Gary for a "chat" and i think as soon as i said "can we go somewhere private" he pretty much knew what was going on. The conversation went something like this:

[We enter a room. Jonny looks sheepish. Gary twigs]
Gary: So, do i have to punch you?

Gary likes me a lot and i like him (Not like that, he's married and i don't think the age gap would work), but he's sad to see me go. I'm sad to go as well i guess. This was my first job in the games industry and i've learnt a lot, and more importantly made some great friends. However it began to dawn on me over the last few weeks that ASBMS isn't somewhere i really want to be any more. On the contrary, as soon as i saw what the new company was doing i fell in love it and the more i thought about it the more passionate i became. I suppose the end result was inevitable.

The upshot of all of this is that i have a week left at ASBMS and i start at the new place on Wednesday 3rd of May. Exciting stuff :)

3 Comments:

Blogger PimpernelP said...

You will be a sad loss Johannes.

9:22 PM  
Blogger cliff said...

good luck dude. I have a big day on that day too. ind33d it is a day of great portent. Maybe the moons are in alignment.

9:19 PM  
Blogger PimpernelP said...

Tell us more duderino!

What's going on?

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home